Life, in it’s weird, surprising way has a way of teaching you things which you would have otherwise never learned. I turned 33 today and decided to collate all my learnings over the years into a list and share it with you. Some lessons were easy, some were not but each one of them made me the person I am today.
So, I thought why not celebrate today by reflecting on the life lessons I have learned.
And, also my blog turns 2 today. Yay. That requires a whole other post.
33 reflections from 33 years of life
- Find yourself before you find a partner.
- Be your harshest critic and also your biggest supporter.
- Avoid the 3 O’s. Overshare, overthink and overbear.
- Seek validation for your work, not your personality.
- Life is not lived on grudges or jealousies, life is lived when you are free of them.
- Life is about the ups and downs but it’s also about the boring, mundane, and simple things.
- Financial independence leads to all other freedoms.
- Invest in learning, you are never too young or old for it. Keep upskilling.
- Don’t sleep on unresolved problems, issues, or disagreements, but sleep on it, if you can’t think straight at the moment. Some things are better left unsaid than regretted later.
- Love does not come with conditions, if it does, then it’s not real love.
- Meditate, read, write, listen to music, scream into the pillow, do all those things that keep your sanity in check. Depression is real.
- Run the opposite direction when you detect a nay-sayer, an intrusive relative, an overtly clingy colleague or person in general.
- Your body is your only true companion. Invest in it’s care.
- Don’t look for companionship just because you are alone. You can be around a million people sometimes and still feel lonely. Know the difference.
- Solitude is the best when you seek it, otherwise, it’s a curse.
- Lonely people are sad and depressed. Untrue. Some enjoy their own company.
- Loving someone does not equal, having a fleeting crush on someone. Get over it.
- If you get one wish for life, wish for good friends. Your friendships can make or break you.
- There is a life outside of social media, that’s the real life.
- Life is not complicated, we make it that way.
- Life is not all black and white either, we all have shades of grey.
- Unlearn the old to make space for the new. It’s for the best.
- Learn to define yourself or someone else will do that job for you.
- Don’t give your power to others. Carry your own light.
- In the long run, quality trumps quantity. Learn to spend on quality always.
- Road to financial freedom is only in saving and investing.
- Goals are important, but consistency is more important.
- Living in retrospect is a waste of time. Life is always lived forward.
- Never hide emotions, for they can build up overtime, and burst at unprecedented times.
- Trust and betrayal go hand in hand. Not mutually exclusive.
- Courtship is romantic, marriage is hardwork.
- Your happiness lies with you. It’s not your partner, spouse, family or friends duty to keep you happy.
- Failures are inevitable, you fail, you learn and move on.
How many do you believe in from the list? Feel free to add more. Let’s discuss in the comments below.